lisaviolet's diary






benny's forums

Check out the live cameras!

All ArchivesRSS 1.0 FEED powered by gm-rss

| previous entry | most current entry | next entry |

Monday, 11/29/2004 - 11:21 AM PDT
The topic: Gah, the holidays start

Monday, November 29, 2004 I love the weather this time of year, but I hate the commercialism of the holidays. This has been a horrible autumn so far. The elections, the campaigning and now the holidays. I want it to be normal again. And that's just not going to happen. Something's going on with me. A vague disatisfaction with my life. A mild irritability. I'm easily annoyed. I hate it. Maybe it's because things haven't been "normal" for a while. You know, Marco being in the crate for over two months, our trip to Disneyland last month, Little Bit, the kittens....and on Thanksgiving, we went up to Disneyland and spent the night at the Grand.

Maybe it's because we're getting older and time seems to be going by at a faster rate. There never seems to be enough time to just kick back. I remember years ago, I'd have hours and hours to do nothing by sit and read, and that's when I worked two jobs. A full time job in the day and helping out a friend with his books in the evening, at least three nights a week. I had lots of time back then, where did it go? I don't have a job where I leave the house now, why does it always seem like there's something I should be doing? Why can't I get it all done?

There's so much I want to do and I just don't know where to start. And I think because I'm not getting anything started, I'm not getting anything finished. And because of my inaction, I'm getting bored. Which adds to my vague feeling of disatisfaction.

I do believe that much of how I feel right now has to do with the holidays. I really miss decorating. We don't decorate because of the cats. I used to love putting lights on the indoor plants (which I no longer have because of the cats). I miss the Christmas tree with all of the blinking lights, the pretty ornaments, the tinsel twinkling when a slight breeze came through. But keeping the cats healthy is more important. I wish we had a little cozy room, with a fireplace that we could keep cat free. And in this room we could do all of the decorating we wanted, without fear of it being dangerous. Ah, well, I can dream.

I'm concerned about KittyMeezer. I don't know what happened, but it was something traumatic. He's not staying over here any longer. I don't know where he is, but it's not here. We actually thought he was gone for good when we didn't see him last week on Monday night, Tuesday morning or Tuesday night. And no food got eaten. I did see him again Wednesday.

The previous week, there was at least one night when nothing at all got eaten. The other nights, food was eaten. A few nights, we saw him, but the other nights, we never saw who was here to eat. I'd like him to come back here and bring Carla with him. I saw both of them last night, together, at dinner, for the first time in weeks, but I'm so used to seeing KittyMeeze in the morning and throughout the day. He's my bright spot in the morning when I bring food out. Now, if he's there at all, he won't come near me, he's keeping a fair distance. It's really strange and it scares me a little.

Oliver has been acting wiggy all morning long. It's 10:30 and he's finally settled down. I yelled at him this morning for smacking a kitten. I told him "you never hit a kitten!" Then we went for our walk. When we got back, Oliver had been hit by a lovebug. He wanted to be snuggled. He talked and walked and followed me around from room to room. When Brian took his shower, Ollie stood outside of the shower and cried until Brian was finished. Brian told him "I can't help you out". I went to investigate who was crying (I thought it was Mickey) and Brian let me know it was Oliver. Ollie jumped up on to the bed and went over to my pillow (his favorite sleeping spot) and started purring and kneading. I rewarded this good behavior with head scratches and I petted him for minutes. After Brian left, Oliver came back into the office. I found him once in the hallway with a kitten in his mouth. I don't think he was trying to hurt the kitten. It's almost like I've seen Marco act.

We all went outside for about an hour and now he's finally settled down and he's snoozing on the bed. I took some video of him this morning, I hope to get to it later today.

(That's another thing...I think I've got too much stuff. I've got so much stuff, I don't use any of it. And I hope to change that. I want to use my cameras. I want to make videos on my computer. I want to make CDs on my computer. I want to finish all of my crochet projects. I want to read that stack of books next to my rocking chair. I want to make a decent looking and smelling candle. I want to start sewing again; God knows I've got plenty of material and patterns.)

A couple of weeks ago, Little Bit got out of the house. I didn't know this until I checked for her when I was getting the cats in for dinner. I check the hole with a flashlight and saw no eyes peering back at me. I looked everywhere in the house and couldn't find her anywhere. I looked outside and couldn't find her. And, of course, this happened on a day that Brian got home late from work. Around 6:30, I saw her on the bank at the side of the house, by the doghouse. We finally got her to run back into the house. It took us close to an hour. It was getting cold and I just didn't want to leave the house open. I was thankful, though, that she wasn't able to leave the yard this time. Not like she did last October when we were gone. She hasn't tried to get out since. She got out via the office door, which I hadn't latched the screen door. Pete apparently came in and wanted out, and pulled the screen open with his claws. I was thinking it was safe and was doing something in the exercise room with the door closed. She must have left during this time. Well, she came in, all was well. I'm looking forward to the time when it's like it is with Lonee and Red now. They can go out, but they're not all that gung ho about it.

Yeah, let's talk a little about Lonee Gail. Oh, my, has she become one of the most lovable cats in the house. No, we can't go up to her and pick her up, not yet. I don't know if we'll ever be able to do that. But she's come into the house from the garage (the big cleanup did that, I think). And she likes to stretch out on the kitchen counters in the evening. And when you walk into the kitchen, she'll stand up and ask for you to please come over to her, she has something she wants to say. And when you do, she starts purring up a storm. She begs to have her back scratched. She rubs against you and purrs and trills and chirps her pleasure. And when you take your leave, she reaches out with a paw, trying to get you to stay with a claw out. She's come such a long way since we first brought her in.

And Red has changed, too. For so many years, I couldn't touch his head or ears, he'd run off. But now, he comes right back, wanting more. He's a drooler, too. *lol* And he loves to rub against my face. His favorite time to bestow his love upon me is in the evening, when I'm on the sofa watching television. Of course, he jumps up right next to my face. And he doesn't keep still, he walks and talks and purrs. Wanting more. I don't think he would ever tire of it before I do. Not like he used to.

Brian remarked to DeeJay this morning that he's sure been purring a lot lately. I think it's because he's feeling good.

The kittens are getting fixed next Monday.

As I mentioned at the beginning of this entry, we went to Disneyland for Thanksgiving. We had turkey dinner at the River Belle Terrace. What a mistake. It was the nastiest Thanksgiving dinner I've ever had. I left half of it on my plate it was so bad. Brian finished his, but I just couldn't. We went to Carnation for dessert, which was another mistake. When we walked in, we went right to the head of the line. But the guy who took our order, took our money and never printed out a slip. And it took almost forty-five minutes for us each to get our two scoops with hot fudge and peanuts. And they left off the peanuts. Brian was really, really pissed off.

Then we went over to Main Street square and plopped our butts down to watch the fireworks show. It was really good. And the snow was nice, too. Then we rode the train around the park once, and called it a night. We got back to the room about 11:30 and were fast asleep by midnight. I'll be putting up a little photo pictorial over in the family album later. Another thing I want to do.

Well, I've got over fifty envelopes to address. I want to get them done and out. I made up a sheet this weekend with all of the cats' pictures on it. I was kind of looking forward to having Brian gone for the weekend (he went up to Ranchita Saturday and spent the night), but it was ruined when the computer started acting up. I was up until midnight Saturday trying to get the individual pictures done. I finally got it all finished yesterday. And it turns out the problem was with the disk in the DVD drive. I think it had somehow become corrupted. Sad thing is I lost the pictures I took Saturday morning of Rachel playing with a Jerusalem cricket. Nasty, nasty looking things.

Well, that's it for now. If I don't get started, I'll never finish.

Replies: 1 Comment

:)Nice to hear from you again. Thanks for the update.

I dread the holidays myself, but every year seem to manage through. Happy Holidays!!

Posted by Brenda @ 12/01/2004 09:35 AM PDT

lisaviolet is fifty something, married with no kids, takes care of lots of cats, likes taking photographs, loves Southern California weather and spends altogether too much time avoiding her responsibilities.

November 2004

All Archives

San Diego Bloggers


Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More
website design by

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by

© 1996-2006 lisaviolet
Photographic images are the property of the photographer,and may not be copied, printed, or otherwise reproduced on any other site or used in any other publishing medium without the written permission of each individual photographer and kennel/cattery owner. Cathouse privacy policy.