lisaviolet's diary






benny's forums

Check out the live cameras!

All ArchivesRSS 1.0 FEED powered by gm-rss

| previous entry | most current entry | next entry |

Thursday, 02/27/2003 - 03:33 PM PDT
The topic: Yay! I love the rain!

Thursday, February 27, 2003 Woohoo! Woohoo! Boy, oh, boy, have we had lots of rain in the past couple of days. It started when Kirby came in the house late Monday and has been coming down off and on since. We even had a fire in the fireplace Tuesday night! I be loving it!

If you wonder where I've been, I've been spending WAY too much time at my cat fights II forum. Feel free to drop by and join in.

Kirby has shown absolutely no interest in going back outside. None. Last night Brian and I were talking about how he could have gotten out and I said "I wonder if he wasn't out at all, but hiding somewhere in the yard? After all, when he doesn't feel good, he's an expert at being invisible and if he got into a fight with Jackie, it could be very well that he was hiding." Brian replied that he was wondering that very same thing. I guess it's because the other cats have tried so very hard to get out of the yard and have been unsuccessful. How would Kirby, who's never shown any interest in escaping at all, get out? It made no sense. I'll still be keeping an eye on him.

Monday I took Junior in for his fructosamine test. He's so funny. I had to pick him up to put him in the back of the Bronco and at first he tried jumping over the seat to get to me, but he realized he couldn't do it, so he just enjoyed looking out the back window and the cars behind us. Once at the vet's office, he was real willing to jump down, but wouldn't walk after that. I had to kind of carry/drag him inside. I also bought more fluids for DeeJay, but they only had one bag in the back and the vet needed that one. Liz told me they'd have more in later in the week and to just come down and get them Wednesday or Thursday. When we got home, Junior jumped out of the Bronco by himself and had no problem making it back to the gate. He was happy to be home and I gave him a biscuit because he'd been so brave.

Then it was Monday night. And we know what happened Monday night.

I was taking a nap when the vet called Tuesday morning to let me know that Junior's fructosamine was good. Whew. Tuesday was pretty quiet, except for the thunder. Junior hung out in the house until it had passed. He kept finding pieces of kitty kibble, which he really shouldn't be eating. Brian came home early because of the wonderful rain and he got the fire going. It was really nice.

Sunday, we didn't know what to have for dinner and I remembered some fish filets I'd gotten at CostCo. They've got garlic butter on them (not breaded) and I cooked those along with some packaged noodles and frozen mixed vegetables. Dinner was really good. Well, Brian had said "what's for dinner, more fish?" because he liked it so much and I jumped on that. 'No, we're not going to start planning dinners for every night because it will start getting lighter at night, you'll start coming home later and before you know it, we'll be eating at eight or eight thirty again and I'm not going to do it.' I've gotten away from cooking because that's what got us so fat in the first place. As it is now, we eat light at dinner. I got to thinking about it and thought I'd like to cook one good dinner a week, just to keep in practice. Sunday would be good because we can eat early. So, I mentioned this to hubby and he thought it was a good idea. Except he said "what about when I go to the property on Saturdays?" Well, I'll be cooking Sunday so it doesn't matter. "But what about when I'm up there on Sunday?" I guess you'll just lose out. After all, if he goes up there with his brother and they come home after dark, it's not unknown for them to stop and eat on the way home. Last time they came back, they stopped and Brian had pot roast for dinner. I think I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. No, I'm not going to feel badly if he's not here for dinner. Huh-uh. :no Anyway, we went to CostCo last night and I got some meat! Round steak and a couple of roasts. I'm thinking about the good things I can make and since I'll only be doing one meal a week, I'm sure I won't get burned out on anything. This coming Sunday, Swiss steak with mashed potatoes and green beans. The next week, beef stroganoff. And there will be pot roast, beef stew, macaroni and cheese, spaghetti, meat loaf, lemon chicken.....I'm really looking forward to this.

What else...there must be something. Oh, yeah, I took Annie off of all medications. She started leaking. Not much, but when she gets up sometimes I see a few drops of urine on her pillow. She's peed a couple of times on the towel blocking Brian's files and it really smells bad. I'm hoping that will clear up when the stuff gets out of her system. She seems to be feeling better, she was acting awfully dopey there for a while. I know the doc said that there's no problem with the long term usage of the elavil, but I just don't feel right giving it to her long term. It's been about five days now and she's peeing okay, no clumps. Still stinky, though not as bad.

I called the vet this morning to make sure the fluids had come in. They had (and good thing, because I didn't have enough for his next round, which is today). I went drove down, parked the Bronco, went to the donut shop, got their special (14 for $4.50) and took them to the vet's office. Then I got the fluids and came home.

Brian came home early today and we talked about the outfronts for a while. I got spay/neuter certificates and I'm going to start calling the offices that were referred. Because the cats I'll be trapping will be feral and I can't make appointments, it will have to be walk in. We've been seriously rethinking bringing the cats into the house. We don't know how well they'll adjust. I asked Brian who will take care of them when we move and he said that we'll trap them again and move them up to the property since we'll have plenty of room. I'm sure we'll have to engage the neighbors at that point. We'll cross that bridge, though, when we come to it. I'm sure it will be nicer for the cats. They'll be in a contained area, with heated housing (figure I don't think they'll want to come in the house; they can if they want, but I doubt if they will) and lots of room, no predators, plenty of food and water. They can live out their lives in peace.

I guess that's all for now.

Replies: 3 comments

If I was a feral kitty, I'd want to be one in your neighborhood! :)

Posted by Mag @ 02/28/2003 06:09 AM PDT

I've often thought about what you are going to do with them when you move. I knew not to worry, you seem to have a handle on things! Seems like life will be even better, no predators, heat and!

Posted by Melanee @ 02/28/2003 08:24 AM PDT

Hey, stop with the menu, already! Those are my favorite things. :P

Posted by Doris @ 02/28/2003 11:39 AM PDT

lisaviolet is fifty something, married with no kids, takes care of lots of cats, likes taking photographs, loves Southern California weather and spends altogether too much time avoiding her responsibilities.

February 2003

All Archives

San Diego Bloggers


Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More
website design by

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by

© 1996-2006 lisaviolet
Photographic images are the property of the photographer,and may not be copied, printed, or otherwise reproduced on any other site or used in any other publishing medium without the written permission of each individual photographer and kennel/cattery owner. Cathouse privacy policy.